Thursday, September 3, 2015

Advice From My Grandson by Vonnie Davis

I have six grandchildren, ranging in ages from fourteen to twenty-seven. One, Ryan, has been raised by my son from sixteen months to second grade when my son remarried. During this span of time, I helped Mike with Ryan, taking him one weekend a month so Dad could have a break.

His new Mom could not have children, so he remained the only child, doted on by both parents. Tina is one for traditions, like a picture of Ryan getting a Christmas kiss from her and Mike.
Ryan calls me every week. We live over seven-hours away from each other now. He's seventeen and always asks how the writing is going. During one conversation, I told him I'd just sent in a manuscript and was feeling nervous about it.

"Did you do all your research, Grandma?"

"Yes."

"Did you use all the things you've learned? Good grammar and stuff like that?"

I'm smiling by now. "Yes."

"Did you have someone check over your work? You know, looking for dumb mistakes you might make?"

"Yes, dear."

"So, you've done your best. Let it go and move on."

I used to read stories to this kid. When did he get so smart? He's earned all A's in high school. He's filling out entrance forms for MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, and Cal Tech. He's already been accepted to University of Maryland from earning the highest ranking at STEM camp last summer. This summer and during this school year, he's worked/working four hours a day as a lab intern at a cancer lab in Camp Detrick, working with AIDS cells. He's only taking AP Spanish and AP Physics at school this semester. In addition, he still plays football and wrestles.

Turning a manuscript in is always scary for me. After all these books, I still get the shakes. So I concentrate on the little gems of wisdom my grandson taught me.  Do your best and let it go.

Learn more about Vonnie at her website: www.vonniedavis.com

15 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Fantastic advice, especially from someone so young, Vonnie! (I wish I'd had that perspective at his age..., Heck, I wish I had it now!) I remember you posting photos of Ryan wrestling over the years. I've yet to join the "grandmothers" club, but I'm enjoying reading about my friends' grandchildren. You and your son/daughter-in-law must be so proud.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Oh, Vonnie, aren't grandchildren fabulous? Especially when they are wise beyond their years like Ryan. What a special piece of advice he gave you, such a gift. Enjoy the after glow!

Jannine Gallant said...

Smart kid! Wishing him much success his final year in high school. Now, the question is: Were you wise enough to listen and let it go?

Rolynn Anderson said...

Vonnie, your grandson is not only smart but loving. What a gem. I can't help but believe some of his focus/intensity comes from wrestling (my favorite sport because my husband was a coach). A wrestler is on his own on the mat...his team can cheer him, but he is truly the only one who can take his opponent down and turn him on his back. Writing (wrestling) a novel is solitary, too. Good advice he gave you...I'll take it, too!

Brenda Whiteside said...

What a great kid. Grandchildren are so very special and it sounds like you have a special special grandson.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Leah, we are proud of Ryan. He can be so tender having been raised by his father during his early years, but Mike was always big on manners and showing respect. He got a B on a test and called me all upset. I praised him for the B, that now he can use it as a learning tool. After a long talk, his "bummer" attitude changed and he could see some positives to it.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Margo, Ryan has always been a wise soul...and very protective of his dad. That's MY dad! He pretty protective of Tina, too. Her cousin was injured in the Boston Marathon Bombing and for awhile no one knew where Erika was. All of her hair had been blown off and her family kept telling the hospital she had long blonde hair. Ryan took over the housework while Mike cooked so Tina could stay on the phone with her large family, getting updates and passing along news.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Jannine. of course I let it go. Until I woke up the next morning. LOL We writers worry over our book babies.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Rolynn, Ryan's dad went to college on a wrestling scholarship so I'm a wrestling mom. Now Mike coaches elementary kids while Ryan has graduated from having Dad as a coach. Not that they're fanatical or anything, but they have this huge wrestling mat that fits the garage floor. They pull out the garbage cans, the cars and roll out the mat to practice moves at home.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Brenda, Ryan and I have always had a special bond. He was born on my 50th birthday. And every so often, when we're together, he siddle up next to me and whisper, "Tell me about your fiftieth birthday." And we go over the events of his birth day again.

Liz Flaherty said...

The advice doesn't come any better than that. Good luck to Ryan in all he's setting forth to do.

Diane Burton said...

Out of the mouths of babes... Okay, he's not a babe anymore. Still great advice. What a wonderful grandson you have there. Wishing him well in his college choice.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Liz. He's a special kid.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Diane, he's toured MIT. All we've heard these last 3 years is MIT. It's so hard to get in there. I worry he'll be disappointed.

Jannine Gallant said...

MIT was the only school on Ryan's list that Tara applied to (along with a bunch of Ivy Leagues). Rejected! And she had incredibly high SAT scores, perfect grades, etc. etc. along with outstanding athletic achievements. Who knows what they're looking for. Hopefully Ryan will have a second choice school he'll be equally as excited about...just in case! But you know what, I think getting all those "thanks but no thanks" letters was good for her. She's so used to always being at the top, it was a good life lesson. Ryan will probably take whatever comes his way in stride, too!